Friday, October 15, 2004

Friday late afternoon! An entire weekend ahead. Ken is working all day tomorrow, so I'm free to do whatever I like. I have so many projects looming that I don't know where to start first. And, since we're at peak foliage around here, I've got to get outside with Sophie and maybe with the camera, too.

I sold the humungous dollhouse this week, which Ken and I built about four years ago. It was stored in our dining room and has been lurking there like an enormous albatross. It is now gone, to a ten-year-old with a love of interior design, and so I have room to sew in there. I just got my sewing machine back from its tune-up, so I'm ready to roll. Since I haven't done any sewing since--can I admit it--1979, I've got to start at the beginning. Haul the machine manual out and start with step 1. I'm scratching my head to think of what would make a good first sewing project. I'll search online, perhaps at the bookstore and the library. Because I've been sprucing up the domicile, maybe I'll try a pillow or two. Machine patchwork sounds fabulous, but maybe I'm getting ahead of myself.


As far as knitting goes, I'm zooming ahead on the winter hat in the blue Cascade wool. I have no decent hat at this point, and frigid mornings will be here in November.I'm going to need it when I'm off on those early hikes with Sophie.

The photo for today, which I managed to mangle, is a sock I'm knitting with Fortissima Colori yarn. I really love the soft, smooth feel of the knitted product. They will be really nice. I know people recommend using reinforcing thread for the heel. Is this a special kind of thread I need to buy?

I'm really loving all my domestic activity--such a switch from my writing business. And such a switch for me after all these years when I didn't entertain a domestic thought one second longer than absolutely necessary. But I do get pinpricked with the thought that I'm supposed to be concentrating on expanding my business now, what with Ken leaving his day job to do his own business fulltime.

3 Comments:

At October 15, 2004 at 6:13 PM, Blogger Miriam said...

I came across your blog on the knitting blogring site and I loved your name... so here I am.

I am a fanatical sock knitter, so YAY for your efforts in sockdom! As for reinforcing heels, I always use a nylon sewing thread (or two for those really special socks). You can get it in a white (really translucent) or a darker gray color and sometimes in a medium gray. I got mine from JoAnn's, but anywhere with a large stock of thread should have some. It looks like fishing line. The good thing about it is that it really doesn't change the color. If you have a dark yarn, you may get a bit of a shimmer to the heel, but it's otherwise invisible unless you've got your nose to the heel.

Is it ok if I visit often?

Mim
www.mimknits.blogspot.com

 
At October 16, 2004 at 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

came across your blog on the knitty ring and had to stop in and say hi because i loved the name. i am a passionate fan of french lit and loved seeing a mme defarge reference!
amanda
www.clothesknit.com

 
At October 18, 2004 at 12:56 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Hi,
I never use reinforcement thread with commercial wool/nylon sock yarn (like Fortissima) and haven't had any trouble with worn heels or toes. There is special yarn sold just for this purpose, though. I believe Elann.com sells it if you can't find it at your LYS.
By the way, I was intrigued to see that you live in Canton. I live in Utah now, but grew up in Dedham. Small world, huh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home